Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy birthday & anniversary to me!

      Today, I am not only celebrating my birthday; I am also marking the anniversary of the day I became a professional photographer!  36 years ago today I photographed my first wedding and launched a career. 
      I was turning 17 and had worked all summer mowing lawns and playing guitar and singing at Jim's Steak House in Pampa to pay my parents back for the new Mamiya/Sekor DTL500 camera that they had bought for me at the first of the summer.  
      I also spent all summer reading the camera manual - and everything else I could find - to learn how to make the camera do what I wanted it to do.  There were no shortcuts or automatic exposure options.  I had to learn how to manually set the camera's aperture and f/stop for the proper exposure and I had to learn how to use an off-camera flash that had to be set manually, too.  Fortunately, film was fairly cheap and processing wasn't terribly expensive either, so I shot film, sent it to a lab, got it back and tried to figure out what I had done right and what I had done wrong.  Then, I would go shoot more film!  Sort of like that whole shampoo ritual - "lather, rinse, repeat."  It was work, but also rewarding and fun! 
     So, when my aunt called me a few weeks before my birthday to ask me if I would photograph my cousin's wedding on August 16, I jumped at the chance.  When you are 16 going on 17, you think you can do anything!  I now realize that it had little to do with my wonderful photographic ability.  I got hired because I had a camera and I was cheap! 
    Obviously, I didn't really know what I was doing, but I learned by taking classes and working for other photographers.   I improved my skills and eventually launched my own business.   Looking back, I am grateful for that first opportunity.  I love my profession and I love that I have been so blessed over the last 36 years.
     Thanks to all of you who have allowed me to be your photographer!  I look forward to many more years helping create precious memories just for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment